The Aged Care Essentials

When considering aged care placement, there are a number of essential steps you need to take. For your convenience, we have listed a number of general aged care questions that people need information on. The following sections have been provided in a general sense to give you an overview of some of the aged care information you may need.

If there is a section that interests you, simply click on the question to reveal the relevant information. Should you require more information about any of these sections, please don’t hesitate to contact Jindalee.

  • Q: What is an ACAT Assessment? How do I get one?

    If you are considering moving into an aged care home, you may first need a free assessment with a member of an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). An ACAT will talk to you about your current situation and work out if you are eligible to receive government-subsidised aged care services.

    If you can receive aged care services, an ACAT assessment will help you access the right services for your needs and the level of care you require.

    The assessment can help identify the type of care services you will require in an aged care home. Remember, your wishes are always listened to and considered, and you will never be forced to make any decisions about your future during your assessment.

    The assessment is an opportunity to identify options and you can make a decision once you have received the outcome of your assessment. You are also welcome to have someone else – perhaps a friend, family member or your carer – attend your assessment with you for extra support.

    Do you live in Canberra and need to arrange an ACAT assessment?
    Please contact the Aged Care Assessment Team in Canberra.

  • Q: What is an Enduring Power of Attorney (EPOA)?

    If you need help managing your affairs, you may choose to give someone you know and trust, or a specialist organisation (such as the Public Trustee and Guardian in NSW) the power to make decisions on your behalf. These powers will allow the person to manage your affairs when you prefer not to do so personally, or are no longer able to. For example, a person may find it hard to sign documents due to loss of vision or unsteady hands.

    Depending on your own personal situation, this may include the power to make decisions about your financial and legal affairs, decisions about your lifestyle (including where you live) and what medical or health treatment you should receive.

    The rules in each state and territory are different so please contact the relevant authority where you live, or your legal advisor, for details on powers of attorney, enduring powers of attorney and enduring guardians. A contact list for each state and territory authority can be found below.

    Do you live in the ACT and need to arrange an EPOA?
    Please refer to the ACT Government EPOA Information Portal.

  • Q: I’m a carer and need support. Can anyone help me?

    Yes! There are a number of services for carers within the ACT region. The organisation, Carers ACT, is a great place to start. Carers ACT campaign with and for carers to advocate for the systemic support they need. They also provide services to support carers’ needs and the needs of the people they care for.

    Carers ACT’s information and advice provides a ‘one-stop shop’ for carers to find out about and access the support they need. They provide information on more than 700 community care services in the ACT. They can also help you locate and access services appropriate for your family’s unique caring situation, let you know about eligibility requirements as well as any associated costs.

    Are you a carer living in the ACT and need support?
    Please refer to the Carers ACT Website.

  • Q: Do you need someone to make accommodation and health related decisions on your behalf because you are unable to?

    The Public Advocate of the ACT represents the best interests of people who do not have the capacity to make decisions in their own best interests.

    There are two teams within the PA ACT. The Guardianship Team, responsible for matters related to guardianship and substitute decision making and the Advocacy Team, responsible for advocacy on behalf of adults and children and young people, outside the guardianship and substitute decision making arena.

    Matters brought to the attention of the PA ACT will be initially dealt with by an Advice Line Officer; if the matter is new or in relation to a person about whom the PA ACT have not had recent contact.

    Do you live in the ACT and need someone to make these types of decisions on your behalf?
    Please refer to the Public Advocate ACT Website.

  • Q: Do you need someone to make financial decisions on your behalf because you are unable to?

    The Public Trustee of the ACT exists to provide permanent and secure Trustee and Administration services to the ACT Community. The organisation provides a number of services; including:

    • will-making (where the Public Trustee is appointed executor);
    • administering deceased estates under will or in intestacy;
    • asset services under Enduring Power of Attorney;
    • trustee for trusts created in Wills, Deeds and Court Orders for families, infants and people with disabilities;
    • acting as agent for the Territory to receive, manage and dispose of assets forfeited under the Confiscation of Criminal Assets Act 2003;
    • administer moneys declared unclaimed under the Unclaimed Moneys Act 1950, Legal Practitioners Act 2006 and Agents Act 2003, including receiving moneys, processing claims and investing funds;
    • investing moneys held in specified government trust funds;
    • acting for people with disabilities where ordered by a Court; and
    • providing an annual examination of the accounts maintained by external managers on behalf of people with impaired decision-making ability.

    Do you live in the ACT and need someone to make financial decisions on your behalf?
    Please refer to the Public Trustee for the ACT Website.

  • Q: I want know more about dementia. In terms of aged care placement, what does it mean for me and my loved one?

    Dementia affects people in different ways and each person will find their own approach to managing changes associated with dementia. You may have received a diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease or another form of dementia and you may have many questions about what it means, what to do next and who can help.

    Alzheimer’s Australia provides practical information and support to family members and carers of people living with dementia. The Alzheimer’s Australia website suggests ways that may assist families and carers in managing some of the day to day issues when caring for someone with dementia. Areas include: coping with changing behaviours, preparing your home, personal care, residential care and taking care of yourself.

    Jindalee’s secure dementia unit (Casuarina wing) provides a secure, safe environment for 32 residents. Our lifestyles team have designed specific programs to assist residents with challenging behaviours. If you would like more information about Jindalee’s secure dementia unit or lifestyles programs, please don’t hesitate to contact our directors of nursing.

    Are you living with dementia or caring for someone with dementia?
    Please refer to the Alzheimer’s Australia Website. There you can find more information about dementia and what it means when considering aged care placement.

  • Q: Is there a service in the ACT that provides support for people with mental health issues?

    Older person’s mental health is a support service for those living with a mental health issue. The service also provides additional support to families and carers.

    If you have or are caring for someone with a mental health issue, Mental Health ACT will be able to provide you and your family with the support you need.